Our high quality, affordable DofE expeditions, are tailored to ensure that your life as a DofE Manager/Coordinator is made as easy as possible and the needs of your participants are met. We also run open DofE expeditions for individuals and small groups at all levels of the DofE programme.
Why choose CTS?
- As a leading and successful provider of DofE expeditions in the UK, we have an excellent reputation within DofE Licenced Organisations, National Operating Authorities, Directly Licenced Centres, independent schools, local councils and organisations, for delivering the Expedition section to the highest standards and who regularly use us as their ‘preferred provider’ as well as recommending and booking participants onto our popular ‘open’ expeditions.
- We have over 40 years’ experience of organising and running high quality, affordable DofE expeditions within the voluntary and statutory sectors, at Bronze, Silver and Gold levels, both in the UK and overseas, successfully supporting tens of 1000’s of young people through their expedition training, practice and qualifying expeditions.
- We are committed to offering memorable, challenging and valuable experiences, which meet both the aim and benefits of the Expedition section, and are open to all DofE participants from any background, DofE group and organisation. We don’t deliver the Expedition section ‘our way’, we deliver it as intended and developed by the DofE, which allows young people to gain the most enjoyment and benefit from their participation.
- We do not compromise safety, or the importance of the training topics required to be completed, that are indicated in the Expedition Training Framework, hence the longer training period offered at each level of the DofE, than that delivered by some other providers. This helps to ensure that each participant has the required skills, knowledge and attitude, to complete their practice and qualifying expeditions in a safe and enjoyable manner, which also helps to promote a positive experience whilst completing the Expedition section. These are indicated in the Expedition Training Framework for each level, DofE Expedition Guide and The Handbook for DofE Leaders and is in keeping with the values, ethos and spirit of the DofE. The Expedition Training Framework states: ‘The training plan for a DofE team should be a progressive process with skills being acquired on training sessions and then practised in the outdoor environment until participants are capable of carrying out the skills without support or adult intervention.’ This cannot be effectively achieved in one day or, if a practice expedition is not being undertaken at Bronze level, even in two days!
- Our founder and director, who started his current 47 years long DofE journey in 1974, completed Bronze, Silver and Gold awards, before continuing his involvement by organising, supervising and assessing expeditions, as well as running DofE groups. He also worked over ten year’s full-time for the DofE as the Expedition Field Officer, assisting with the development of the Expedition section, as well as sitting on the DofE’s National Expedition Advisory Panel; therefore, we have a ‘second-to-none’ knowledge and understanding of the Expedition section within the UK and its delivery in a range of settings, including formal and informal education.
- Our reputation for working with young people with additional needs is well known and we are regularly asked by DofE Regional Offices to deliver the Expedition section to special needs schools and colleges that offer the DofE programme to their students.
- We have an outstanding reputation for safety, ‘best practice’ and keeping within the values, ethos and spirit of the DofE.
- All our instructors are handpicked, not just because of the qualifications they hold, but also because of their knowledge of and safe practice, within the DofE Expedition section and the wider DofE programme; their enthusiasm and motivation; their commitment to ‘best practice’; and their ability to empower, inspire, encourage and engage with young people at all levels. Outdoor qualifications alone, i.e. proven technical competency, do not develop these ‘soft’ skills, or the leadership ability and personal qualities required to positively deliver the DofE Expedition section to young people. This is why, when selecting staff to work for us, we look beyond their outdoor qualifications.
- Holding professional qualifications in youth work, teaching or outdoor education; enhanced DBS checked; fully qualified to deliver DofE expedition training; undertake expedition supervision and assessment, CTS staff are able to draw upon many years’ of experience working with young people from differing backgrounds and ages, to support and encourage them through their DofE expedition experience.
In 2019, we were selected, from all the other AAP’s across the country and asked by the DofE to deliver the Expedition section for a 3-year pilot project using funding released by the Trustees of the DofE, to support 300 young people from disadvantaged backgrounds in the Birmingham area, following on from the quality of the expeditions we run and the positive way in which we engage with young people from different backgrounds. This is obviously a great privilege and testament to the work that we do and the support we give to young people. This project has also led to the development of the DofE’s new 5-year strategy, ‘Youth Without Limits’
“Hi Dave and Ben, we all just wanted to say a big thank you to both of you, and all the staff at CTS, for working so hard and so well with our learners on all the expeditions this year. As always you are both professional, great with the learners, and have a great sense of humour, and are easy to get along with. We really do look forward to working with you next year, and it’s a part of the curriculum that I and many of the staff and learners look forward to. Have a great summer both of you from all of us at Abbey Hill.” – DofE Manager (Special Needs School)
We offer a bespoke service, ensuring that your exact requirements are met, whether this be a series of sessions delivered at your school or centre, or specially designed residential training sessions.
We are more than happy to visit your school or organisation to discuss your requirements and produce a bespoke package that fits within your budget and one that the participants will enjoy, whilst achieving the principles and benefits of the DofE Expedition section. We deliver the DofE Expedition section at all levels of the Award in schools and organisations across the UK, including Staffordshire, Birmingham & West Midlands, Leicestershire, Derbyshire, Northamptonshire, Bedfordshire, Worcestershire, Warwickshire, Devon, London, Hertfordshire, Surrey, Middlesex, Scotland; and are continually expanding across the country!
We have extensive knowledge of, and regularly use, many areas of the UK to deliver challenging and safe expeditions for the appropriate level of the Award including, Brecon Beacons, Chiltern Hills, Dartmoor, Surrey Hills, Snowdonia, Peak District, South Downs, Lake District, New Forest, Howgill Fells, Shropshire Hills, Mid Wales, Mendip Hills, Staffordshire Moorlands, North York Moors, Cotswolds, Exmoor, Quantock Hills, as well as more local areas for the Bronze level, keeping within the Expedition section conditions of using normal rural countryside, familiar and local to groups. This area knowledge allows us to tailor the expeditions to the needs and abilities of the participants, which also meets the progressive nature and challenge required at each level of the DofE programme.
It is this aspect of our business that ‘sets us apart’ from most other providers, as we continually deliver ‘best practice’, upholding the values and keeping within the spirit and ethos of the DofE; and empower, inspire, encourage and engage with young people at all levels in an informal education setting. We can only achieve this by employing a staff team that are handpicked because they possess the knowledge, skills and attitude needed to deliver the DofE Expedition section to the high standard we demand and for which we are renowned; and be able to offer the level of engagement with all young people that we support, to make any intervention a positive and enjoyable experience. We have that team 😊
PLEASE NOTE THAT DURING THE COVID-19 SITUATION, THE DETAILS BELOW ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE IN ORDER FOR US TO RESPOND SAFELY AND EFFECTIVELY TO GOVERNMENT GUIDELINES AND THE DofE’s ADVICE REGARDING EXPEDITIONS. HOWEVER, THERE WILL BE NO COMPRIMISING OF EITHER THE QUALITY OR EXPERIENCE OF OUR DofE EXPEDITIONS FOR YOUNG PEOPLE WHILST UNDERTAKING EXPEDITIONS WITH US 🙂 WE ARE HAPPY TO DISCUSS THIS WITH YOU TO MEET YOUNG PEOPLES, SCHOOL OR ORGANISATION NEEDS.
Our bespoke expedition packages cost:
BRONZE – £120.00 plus VAT* per participant (minimum of 4 days with 2 days training – 1 classroom-based and 1 full navigation training day; plus qualifying expedition). Intended for those participants with some camping/navigation experience, i.e. through Scouts, Boys’ Brigade, Girls’ Brigade, Girlguiding, family camping holidays, etc.
BRONZE – £150.00 plus VAT* per participant (minimum of 5 days with 3 days training – 1 classroom-based and 2 navigation training days, including campsite ‘set-up’). Intended for those participants with no camping/navigation experience.
BRONZE – £180.00 plus VAT* per participant (minimum of 6 days with 2 days training – 1 classroom-based and 1 full navigation training day; with a 2-day overnight training expedition; plus qualifying expedition). Intended for those participants that wish to experience the full and traditional DofE Expedition section.
SILVER – £270.00 plus VAT* per participant (minimum of 8 days – with 2 days training – 1 classroom-based and 1 full navigation training day; plus practice & qualifying expeditions)
GOLD – £425.00 plus VAT* per participant (minimum of 11 days – with 2 days training – 1 classroom-based and 1 full navigation training day; plus practice & qualifying expeditions)
*Schools and VAT registered organisations are able to reclaim the VAT charged on the invoices we raise for delivery of the Expedition section.
However, please contact us to discuss your exact requirements, which will allow us to quote an affordable bespoke cost for delivering a quality experience to your participants, school, or organisation.
“Dear Dave. I thought the team that you sent were excellent. Ann & Chris in particular were extremely diligent and professional at all times. They totally inspired the girls with their enthusiasm and encouragement. They quickly gained my trust and it was obvious that they were a highly organised and efficient team. Matthew worked quietly with the two smaller groups and again knew their positions, regularly checking in promptly throughout the course of the expedition. It was a very positive experience and the team were first class! I believe we are working with Ann & Chris again on the Qualifier and I look forward to it with pleasure.” – DofE Manager (Independent School)
Chase Training Solutions is licensed by the Adventurous Activities Licensing Service to provide Hill Walking and Mountaineering activities.
Just need one expedition organising, assessing, supervising, or the training delivered? No problem, as we can arrange this for you. We also deliver a specific DofE Expedition First Aid (4hrs) course, designed to meet the requirements of the Expedition Training Framework. Please contact us for further details.